Education And Outreach
Our primary mission is to keep wildlife wild by providing quality, compassionate care to native Florida wildlife. We are also always happy to answer questions when anyone calls about the wildlife they have encountered and aren’t quite sure how to handle the situation. However, the Florida Wildlife Hospital also offers educational programs and outreach.
This team is composed of volunteers who devote their time to helping educate our community about the importance of wildlife and how to safely assess and handle common situations that can arise. We have been asked to speak at schools, scout meetings, women’s leagues, business events/ meetings, community festivals, nursing homes, and so many more.
Due to the nature of our facility being a working hospital and the desire to keep human contact with our patients to a minimum, we are unable to offer programs at our facility which is why our team travels all over Brevard County. Our programs are about 1 hour in length and can be done as an a formal lecture with or without a PowerPoint presentation, or we can set up a tabletop at a festival type event. We offer several different programs depending on your group’s needs:
The most popular portion of our programs though is our ability to bring some of our animal ambassadors along. These animals are permanent residents of the hospital that could not be released into the wild for a variety of reason. They are always a huge help in explaining the importance of wildlife rehabilitation and conservation efforts. For more information on our animal ambassadors, please see our Adopt an Ambassador page.
FWH also offers an add-on to the All About Owls program which includes: 1-hour program with owl pellets, handouts, and instruments of dissection. Sterilized owl pellets are $1.00 each and are not always available so please plan well in advance. You can also opt to purchase the pellets individually and have the students study them as part of your own program. Please reach out to our Events Coordinator for more details on this program add-on at Events@floridawildlifehospital.org
Registration & Pricing
- Call: (321) 254-8843
- Email: OVM@floridawildlifehospital.org
- Please provide us with the following information:
- School or group name
- Contact name
- Phone number
- Email address
- Event location (Indoors | Outdoors)
- Dates you prefer
- Program time(s) you prefer
- Presentation type (Formal program with PowerPoint | Formal program without PowerPoint | Tabletop setup)
- Estimated age and number of attendees
- Program requested (About FWH | Florida Friends| Owl | Gopher Tortoises)
The donations from our programs help us cover the costs of caring for the residents and travel related expenses.
- $100 for K – 12 school programs
- $125 for programs 15 miles or less (generally Palm Shores, Melbourne, West Melbourne, Viera, Cocoa, Satellite Beach, Indian Harbour Beach, & Indialantic)
- $150 for programs 15.1+ miles (generally Titusville, Cape Canaveral, Palm Bay, Grant)
- $50 each additional hour